Geographic Information Center (Middle East – since 2011)
This complete system has been developed and integrated for a Middle Eastern country (confidential) to supply a production center for geographic data, using aerial photography, satellite imagery or existing paper maps.
This scalable cartographic production solution is based on two concepts : (i) production and control of geographic information (image and vector) within dedicated multi-operator workshops and (ii) management, publication and dissemination of products within a Geographic Information Centre. The software solutions developed or integrated by Magellium include:
- Scanning of large volumes of paper maps,
- Ortho-rectification and geo-referencing,
- Capturing & updating geographic objects,
- Cataloguing and production management,
- User training,
- Product dissemination.
The system is hosted in a dedicated building designed by Magellium and its partners, including an IT system (fast and secure network, 20+ data and application servers, 160 workstations) operated by over 100 full-time staff. The system is organised around several interconnected workshops:
- Ortho/Scan: production and updating of a raster map database by scanning hundreds of paper maps and adding data from orthoimage products (satellite imagery),
- QC: evaluation, control and qualification of products: scanned maps, orthoimages, DEM…,
- Vector: production of vector products,
- Tasking: managing operations and defining the work to be carried out,
- GeoPortal: dissemination of geographic products through a secured web access.
Magellium is prime contractor for the project and has worked with 12 sub-contractors. This project is expected to last a minimum of seven years (development, deployment, training, evolution, and maintenance). Since June 2011, the project has mobilized 60+ engineers (full-time) at Magellium.
The project was developed using a range of state of the art technologies in the field of digital geography and information systems:
- ESRI product range (ArcGIS Server, ArcInfo, PLTS, ArcGlobe),
- Conversion format (ETL) : Safe Software FME,
- Web Application Firewall : Appliance BeeWare,
- Programming technologies : Java / Eclipse RCP, Ext4,
- Open source : JOSM, PostGres,
- Magellium proprietary software components.
Principle of interconnected workshops around a central tasking system.